The advocacy organizations listed below are leaders in fighting for women's reproductive health rights in New York. If you are looking for opportunities to help advocate for reproductive health rights legislation in your district or in Albany, you can sign up with most of these organizations to participate in advocacy initiatives.
- The National Institute for Reproductive Health (NIRH) works to increase access to reproductive health care by changing public policy, galvanizing public support, and normalizing women’s decisions about abortion and contraception. We don’t just push back against restrictions on abortion and contraception; we fight for a society in which everyone has the freedom and ability to control their reproductive and sexual lives. Join us at: https://www.nirhealth.org/what-we-do/action-fund/get-involved/become-an-activist/
- The New York Civil Liberties Union (NYCLU) focuses on defending and promoting the fundamental principles and values embodied in the Bill of Rights, the U.S. Constitution, and the New York Constitution. Urge your political representatives to pass the Reproductive Health Act by sending a tailored message found on nyclu.org/rha.
- Planned Parenthood Empire State Acts (PPESA) is an independent, non-partisan, non-profit organization which represents Planned Parenthood in New York State. PPESA advocates for public policies that protect and support sexual and reproductive health, services, rights, and justice. PPESA also fosters and preserves a social and regulatory climate that protects and expands access to sexual and reproductive services and information.
- The Planned Parenthood of New York City Action Fund is a non-partisan, not-for-profit organization formed as the legislative, education and electoral activity arm of Planned Parenthood of NYC. For more than 100 years, Planned Parenthood of NYC has been a beacon of hope for the thousands of women, teens, and families who rely on them for essential reproductive health care, innovative educational programs, and effective advocacy. Join one of several Activist Council groups, ranging from their Sex Ed group to their Political Action group. Contact email@example.com or visit ppnycaction.org.
- NARAL Pro-Choice America and its network of state affiliates are dedicated to protecting and expanding reproductive freedom for all Americans. NARAL works to guarantee that every woman has the right to make personal decisions regarding the full range of reproductive choices, including preventing unintended pregnancy, bearing healthy children, and choosing legal abortion. In recognition of its work defending our constitutional right to choose, Fortune Magazine described NARAL as "one of the top 10 advocacy groups in America."
- Concerned Clergy for Choice is a multi-faith statewide network of religious leaders committed to standing with Planned Parenthood patients and health centers across New York State. Concerned Clergy for Choice members provide community education on theological perspectives and speak with the media and policymakers about the deep and longstanding religious support for access to basic health care which includes contraception, abortion, and comprehensive sex education.
- New York Abortion Access Fund (NYAAF) supports anyone who is unable to pay fully for an abortion, and is living in or traveling to New York State, by providing financial assistance and connections to other resources. NYAAF provides funding directly to clinics on behalf of the people they serve, in or out-of-state. Visit nyaaf.org to support our hotline, make a donation, volunteer, join their Board, or host a fund-raising event!
- We are the New York State Association of Licensed Midwives (NYSALM), representing midwives who provide full-scope maternity, well-woman and newborn services throughout New York State. Our mission includes: promoting the health and well-being of women and infants through midwifery care, facilitating the professional practice of Licensed Midwives in the State of New York and encouraging and maintaining collegial relationships with healthcare providers, institutions, and organizations. Visit nysalm.org to learn more.
- Reproductive Health Access Project trains and supports clinicians to make contraception, abortion, and miscarriage care accessible to everyone. Complete the sign-up form on reproductiveaccess.org to volunteer!
- Raising Women’s Voices NY works to ensure that New York’s women and families are able to get affordable coverage for health care that meets our needs, including comprehensive reproductive health care. Learn more about our work and ways you can get involved at raisingwomensvoices.net or www.facebook.com/rwvny.
- Physicians for Reproductive Health unites the medical community and supporters. Together, we work to improve access to comprehensive reproductive health care, including contraception and abortion, to meet the health care needs of everyone. Learn more about our work to advance evidence-based reproductive health policy, and how you can get involved, at www.prh.org.
- Rally+Rise is a grassroots activist group committed to making New York a progressive haven through organizing locally around the issues most imperiled nationally. That includes passage of the Reproductive Health Act— to codify Roe v. Wade on the state level, broaden New York's antiquated abortion laws, and ensure that we remain proactive in protecting basic human rights. In 2017 Rally+Rise organized coordinated letter-writing campaigns, phone-calling campaigns, lobbying visits with key legislators, and more in support of this crucial piece of legislation, and plan to continue working with activists to get the RHA passed in the year ahead.
- New York Indivisible works to hold elected and appointed officials accountable for protecting the rights of all people and to support legislators at all levels of government who value people over party. We have delivered thousands of signed letters to elected officials, canvassed in the streets, and organized call campaigns to channel constituent power. Join us! www.nyindivisible.com.
- Eleanor’s Legacy NY takes action to increase women's participation in New York Democratic politics with the ultimate goal of increasing pro-choice Democratic women leaders. Whether it’s by running for office or attending an event, you can enact change! Visit eleanorslegacy.com for more information.
- WHARR is the Women's Health and Reproductive Rights working group of #GetOrganizedBK. We are a group of Brooklyn-based activists and organizers mobilizing to protect gender equity, women's health and reproductive rights by taking action for positive change, producing fact sheets on current issues and legislation, sharing stories, and holding events to share our work with the community. Visit wharr.com for more information.
- National Council of Jewish Women New York is a multi-generational, interfaith group committed to affecting social change. Advance their mission by becoming a member, joining their Advocacy Leadership Committee or volunteering! Visit ncjwny.org to get started.
- The American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG), District II represents over 4,000 board certified obstetrician-gynecologists in New York State who deliver health care to New York’s women. The Albany office offers the State Legislature its resources as a non-profit, scientific, and educational organization dedicated to accessible and quality health care for women. For further information, please contact the office at 518-436-3461 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The National Organization for Women - New York City (NOW-NYC) works to defend reproductive rights, fight economic inequality, promote women’s leadership, and end discrimination and violence against women. Visit their website at nownyc.org to learn how to take action.